Monday, January 21, 2008

Seth's Rocket Ship

One of the concepts about homeschooling that has been drilled into me time and time again is "hanging hooks". Children do NOT need to learn everything there is to know about a subject at one time. weaver teaches each subject in a manner that each time you add onto it-thus you "hang hooks". I always struggle with this concept and am sure that I will continue to do so...but here's proof it really works.

We took a break from homeschooling for Christmas-a month long break. It's always needed for recharging purposes (for ME) and also because we have three birthdays in our own home during that month plus Christmas. For those of you who are worried about whether or not my kids are getting enough time in for school...today my kiddos are schooling while the public schools are out for Martin Luther King Jr. day (don't get me wrong, I appreciate this holiday and the like but we JUST started back last week-LOL). During two weeks of this month, the older kids were still reading and doing math. (whoo hooo for math programs that grade themselves)...but I digress....


Seth was learning about the moon and rocket ships were mentioned briefly. We made a huge rocket ship out of a box (big enough for me and all five of my kids to fit into, one of which is 6'1"). WE played in that box for Interlock for about a week and then started our break. Seth has been talking about rocket ships for the past two weeks. He's also gotten very into crafts...I am about to lock up our craft supplies...caught him into the colored sand...YIKES. The other day he made his very own rocket ship-the design is all his. He had help with the writing and a little bit of the gluing when he couldn't get it to do what he had wanted! This is what I call proof of "hanging hooks". Guess what we are studying this week? You guessed it...rocket ships and landing on the moon.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tara, that is fantastic. Wow, what a creative little boy.
Thanks for your blog, it's great reading about other Weaverettes.
Lindy

Momma Roar said...

That is awesome!! We loved that section last year too!

weavermom said...

The clothespins are so creative!! He did an awesome job!

We loved that unit as well. My dining room chairs were in a circle with a sheet over them for quite awhile (that was our pretend rocket). I still have the astronaut costume we made.

Thanks for the hanging hooks reminder too - I needed that today.

Julie said...

This is fantastic! Isn't it a great feeling to know that they are learning and putting thier minds to work!

Ryann said...

yeah, he's impressive alright! great! :) love the clothes pins! :)