Saturday, November 22, 2008

Trier-KaiserThermen

I still have one more post left to put up about our visit to Trier. (well maybe more than one about the same place, OK?)

The last place we visited before leaving Trier was the Kaiserthermen. This made me feel like I had been transported back...it was striking! I know it's just old ruins, but it is an amazing place. We loved it!!

So what exactly IS the Kaiserthermen...the Imperial Roman Baths of course!!! They have stood in place for 2,000 years! Wow! Jesus was on Earth when these were built...wow. They were frequented by Constantine himself! Apparently there are three Roman baths in Trier (we didn't see the others) but these are the biggest of them!

Here we are on the outside looking IN:












This place looks so beautiful and it's hard to believe that people once took steamy baths there (BRRRR!!!!). But underneath that green expanse of grass is a network of tunnels. Some of them we were able to go into and others we weren't.

When we first arrived inside, we walked up to an obseravation deck so that we could take some pictures of the view:






If you look at the lower left hand side of this photo you can see the entrance way of some of the underground passageways.




Here I am starting down a path....very cool....



Look closely, and you will be able to see Tyler around the corner...



Turn around and look backwards of course:



Courtney posing in one of the entrance ways...we were still underground but you could look up at the sky in places:



A passageway...I really REALLY need to take a class on how to use my DSL better...I know I have an amazing camera and I just don't know how to use all of it's functions well (yet):







And of course, my 15 year old monkey!




Hi Momma!




Bit and pieces of Roman columns....wow. Real Roman Columns....how exciting. Yeah I am sure the mommy was more excited than the kids but even they showed some exuberance as they recollected some of the types.







A view from above, where you just saw dh and the kids:




Cute baby girl holding her biggest brother's hand:




From on the inside of the Kaiserthermen:








The kids are sitting on a Roman column here!






What a pretty view (snurly nose and all):









Another underground system:










Capture your Tween's attention to divert something else going on...

WHAT MOM?




Keep giggling, while someone else is sneak, sneaking...LOL:


GOTCHA!!!




A little self-satisfied and smug-looking there, aren't ya?



Excuse me if this sour face didn't ruin a spectacular photo? Well will SOMEONE tell me when it becomes COOL to smile again? AARGH!!!!!



Finishing up our day...leave it to a boy to want to pose next to a giant ole foot. LOL....





Whew! I got into all one large post! Of course, I am still behind on my blogging. We had a birthday in our house last Sunday (16th) and I haven't even uploaded the photos onto my camera! Sigh...I'll get there. Promise.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

That place looks amazing! Glad that you shared the pictures. BUT I had to laugh at your picture with all the kids. 3 smiling faces and 2 that does not smile! Cracked me up!

weavermom said...

It looks so much fun!! If the kids were a little older, I'd be beggin' to come visit! ;)

tee said...

so beautiful ... its been over 20 yrs since i was there.. love all the diff pics that you got.
thinking of you
t

tee said...

so beautiful ... its been over 20 yrs since i was there.. love all the diff pics that you got.
thinking of you
t

Missus Wookie said...

Gorgeous - looks like a neat place to visit :)