Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Poetry in the O'Rourke household

We have been studying poetry in Language Art in our home for the past few weeks. At first the kids were pretty reluctant. I believe I heard at least one "this is really dumb". However, as we have gone through it they are finding it fun. Here are some examples of their own work: (these are all three Persona Poems about a pebble)

The Pebble on the Beach By Tyler O'Rourke, age 15

I am a Pebble so very little
I'm on the beach in the very middle.
The size of a seed.
Smaller than a bead.
I'm just a dot in this big spot.
I'm just a dot in the sandy lot.
I'm so very small, I wish I were more tall.
I'm also pretty shiny but very very tiny.


The Pebble by Courtney O'Rourke, age 12

I sit in the sun but I can't move
I watch the children run in the water
Sometimes I get hot and
I am glad when the tide comes in.
And cools me down.
I love to watch the adults play volleyball and see which team will win.
sometimes I wish I could join in,
But I'm just a pebble.


I am a Pebble by Garret O'Rourke, age 14

I am a pebble named Peter B. Yelf.
I don't have parents so I named myself.
I don't anything so I don't have a job.
All I can do is sit here all day and sob.


ROTF @ Garret's...he's quite the comedian.


Still no new computer. No new pictures to share until it arrives. Hoping that my camera cards don't get over-filled. EEEK.

3 comments:

The Watts Family said...

Great poems!! It really seemed like the pebble was real!!!

Pauline said...

those were very cute

Jodi said...

Great job on the poems! I really had to laugh at Garret's poem!