Saturday, June 19, 2010

Packing day is done

Sorry, I don’t have any photos to share on this laptop (yet).  But we’ve had a long week.  Wednesday morning we woke expecting to have packers arrive early that morning.  They didn’t show. By noon, I wasn’t a happy camper and started making calls.  I got hold of the Custom’s Inspector from Transportation assigned to our pack-out who called the moving company.  The moving company then called me with some lame excuse as to why they hadn’t shown up. Then asked me if that was OK. 

UMMMM, no.  It’s not okay.  We are a family of seven. S*E*V*E*N  I homeschool.  This means I have a TON of books.  Remember this post?  I didn’t show all the bookshelves. I have 8 altogether.  This is after I gave away some of the books.  On top of this, we are a family of 7….I think I just mentioned this.  LOL!!  We have a ton of stuff.  Transportation had schedule three days to pack us out.  They NEEDED it.  I told the lady (probably the secretary) that NO this was not okay.  That they needed three days to complete this pack out and that I wanted them HERE when they finished the pack out they were working on.  The manager then calls me.  I told him again that we needed them here.  I also mentioned that I was concerned that if they didn’t arrive that they would be in a hurry to pack us out and then things would be damaged.  I believe my next words were “Then, sir, I will be filing a claim against your company for reimbursement of any and all damages”.   They ended up not showing.

The next morning they arrived….LATE.  BUT they arrived.  They packed hard all day.  They came back Friday.  Packed hard all day.  They did finish, but not before damaging our stairwell and the walls in the building. I am frustrated.  Why you ask?  Because they did the damage with a craft armoire that took FIVE guys to carry up our stairwell.  FIVE so that it wouldn’t touch the walls or stairs or drag.  FIVE so it wouldn’t damage the armoire or the building.  They did it with THREE.  How you ask?  THEY ROLLED IT END OVER END DOWN THE STAIRS.  I am afraid to see the armoire.  They damaged the vinyl coating on the stairs.  My landlord just painted the stairwell walls…there are black scuff marks on the walls.  AAARRRGGH!!!!

So…that was the pack out.  I am glad it’s over.  We have furniture from Housing on loan to sleep and sit on.  We have a Hospitality Kit from ACS to borrow for the 13 days we have left in Germany.

BTW, military wives…did you know that you have a Professional Weight allowance?  you do…make sure you get the information from Transportation when you schedule your pack out.  And USE it.  Set aside that professional weight.  It doesn’t count against your weight allowance. 

Night…tomorrow is an important date….Father’s Day. 

3 comments:

ThinkFeminist said...

Oh dear! I cant believe the rolled an armoire down the stairs!!! These folks are so unprofessional. I hope your landlord doesnt make you pay for all those damages!

Where are you PCSing to? I love Germany, maybe my husband will go there someday too.

Musings Of An Army Wife

Tara O said...

Mrs. Wifey...this is our 6th year in Germany, second tour. We love it here too. We are actually leaving a year early this time.

We won't have to pay for the damage. Our landlords are going to see the Housing office to make complaints and I imagine that Housing will help them file a claim against the company.

We are moving to Fort Stewart, GA.

Anonymous said...

oh man, I'd be so upset!!

We are getting ready to move soon, and I am so nervous! I've never moved out of state before packing up all our stuff...and we have to drive it 11 hours away...ahh!!