Thursday, June 10, 2010

PCS Time

Technorati Tags:

This is one of the most stressful times, next to deployments, for military families.  There’s so much to do and things you cannot do until your sponsor has his orders.  Once those orders are in hand, you don’t always have much time to get things accomplished.  LIke purging…which is one reason why you need to stay organized and purged at all times.  I used to be excellent at this.  Either I have gotten lazy or SOMETHING.  It can’t be lazy…

9

Once you have appointments made for the movers to pick up your things, it’s time to separate shipments into Unaccompanied Baggage (from here on out called UAB) and Household Goods (HHG) AND in  both of those shipments you separate your husband’s professional weight from the personal.  Sounds easy, right?  UH NO.

I have been going through closets, schooling materials, toys, closets some more, etc pulling things that I know we need right away in our new duty assignment.  I had to pull out at least two units worth of our main curricula so I know that we can start on time this fall.  That included pulling out needed resources from the shelves.

DSC_1489

DSC_1488

I ended up with a duffle bag so full of books that I can barely pick it up. 

Clothes…we live in a cool climate.  We are moving to a state where it is HOT.  Not just hot, but H*O*T*.  We aren’t used to it.  But that’s besides the point.  We are going to have to pack in a manner where we have jackets and jeans here in Germany AND at the same time have plenty of shorts and the like for Georgia.

Enter the UAB.  I have a 31 gallon Rubbermaid tote that I am throwing the rest of the kids’ summer clothing into so that we have what we need in GA.

Kitchen stuff….I am going to be separating my kitchen things:  pots, pans, silverware, utensils, etc….into what we NEED right away.  All of our 110 kitchen appliances go into the UAB.  The pots and pans I’ll use the most go into the UAB. 

Linens…I have make sure we have sheets, blankets, pillows, towels to use in GA.  I have one 31 gallon tote and 2 18 gallon totes packed with clean linen.

I’m not done….and they come TOMORROW to pick this shipment up.  ACK.  So if you need me, I am buried underneath our UAB.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

Huge project. At least this is not your first time down this road. I'm sure past experience is making this more manageable this time around. Hopefully the kids can help a little. Hang in there!

ladynurse4 said...

Thinking about you and praying that everything goes smoothly.

Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads said...

Don't forget that you need to separate your professional gear as well.

Praying for you!