Sunday, December 14, 2008

Borscht and Weinacht Markt

Last Sunday (December 7), our church had our monthly potluck dinner. Normally it's a regular potluck but this month it was "don't bring anything". HMMM....HUH??? OK...no cooking, I can do that. LOL! Our church is also used by the some Russian immigrants (bear with me...as I THINK I have this correct)who were displaced by WWII back in the day. They rent or borrow (not sure which) our church for their services and wanted to serve us a meal. How very nice of them to do so.

They served Borscht and something that translated into English "mouse in a bag". Ahem...don't wanna know but it was good (yes SISTER person I ate it). It looked very much like meat filled noodles...not quite a dumpling but a noodle. Good stuff. The Borscht was FABU. I've never eaten anything like this. I will admit to not being pleased with their desserts. Europeans don't make their desserts as sweet as Americans do. The Cheesecake was just ALL WRONG. ROTFLOL. I am sure the desserts were good for European standards I just like my sugar. LOL

We went to the Weinacht Markt in Trier last Sunday too. I love Christmas Markets (the translation folks). Great fun. This was way too crowded and we were NOT able to look around as I wanted. Elbow to elbow people who were ELBOWING. ;-)















I love to get a cup of gluhwein when we go. I always keep the mug too (you can return them and get some Euro back).

4 comments:

Lissa Ballard said...

I love living vicariously through you. The places youve seen and the things you've done are so awesome! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us Tara!

Hugs
Lissa

Missus Wookie said...

We're off to a Weinacht Markt on Tuesday in Central London - was thinking of you as we planned our visit.

Looks like you had fun.

ladynurse4 said...

Oh boy, yes living vicariously! I sure do miss the wonderful stuff, the food, the decorations, But I agree with you about the desserts....not sweet enough.
Mouse in a bag...HA! Wonder what kind of meat it really was. Probably pork I would think.

Aleta said...

I miss the Weinachtmarkts! But I agree - Trier is the busiest one!!! We couldn't 'see' anything either with the wall to wall people!