Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Having a tough time with my teen

I wonder if I’ll make it out of his teenager years sane or not….but doesn’t change how much I love this kid.  He’s a blessing and a treasure.  I ask any and all of my readers to pray for him if you think of us. 
I was given a poem to share….and it tells pretty much how I feel.  It reduced me to tears today.  God is so good to me.
Mother's Elbow's on My Bed
I was but a youth and thoughtless,
as all youths are apt to be;
Though I had a Christian mother
who had taught me carefully,
But there came a time when pleasure
of the world came to allure,
And I no more sought the guidance
of her love so good and pure.
Her tender admonitions fell
but lightly on my ear,
And for the gentle warnings
I felt an inward sneer.
How could I prove my manhood
were I not firm of will?
No threat of future evil
should all my pleasure kill.
But mother would not yield her boy
to Satan's sinful sway,
And though I spurned her counsel
she knew a better way.
No more she tried to caution
of ways she knew its pain.
And though I guessed her heartache
I could not know its pain.
She made my room an altar,
a place of secret prayer
And there she took her burden
and left it in His care.
And morning, noon and evening
by that humble bedside low, she sought the aid of Him Who
best can understand a mother's woe.
And I went my way unheeding,
careless of the life I led,
Until one day I noticed prints of elbows on my bed.
Then I saw that she had been there
praying for her wayward boy,
Who for love of worldly pleasure
would her peace of mind destroy.
While I wrestled with my conscience,
Mother wrestled still in prayer,
Til that little room seemed hallowed
because so oft she met Him there.
With her God she held the fortress,
and though not a word she said,
My stubborn heart was broken
by those imprints on my bed.
Long the conflict raged within me,
sin against my mother's prayers.
Sin must yield for mother never
while she daily met Him there.
And her constant love and patience
were like coals upon my head,
Together with the imprints
of her elbows on my bed.
Mother-love and God-love
are a combination rare,
And one that can't be beaten
when sealed by earnest prayer.
And so at last the fight was won,
And I to Christ was led,
And mother's prayers were answered
by her elbows on my bed.
Anonymous - taken from Verses of Virtue

Here’s a LO that I did today….enjoy
superteenattitude

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that's a beautiful poem. Got me teary too. Still praying for you friend!!

Beth in Idaho

Auntie Em said...

Someday, he'll come around.... HUGS

The Watts Family said...

Praying Tara~ ........Oh we will be hitting the teens very soon ourselves ~Blessings Heather ;-)

Tricia said...

You love them and they go and break your heart. That doesn't make them bad kids, just means they are testing their wings and will make a few bad choices along the way. You are a good mother and everything will turn out right in the end. Hang in there!

Lissa Ballard said...

Oh girl... I wish I'd had that poem during my deepest teen years. I've yet to go through one last time but this words are so appropriate. All I can tell you is at 18 they start to become a little more normal. They start to see how "crappy" they've been treating you and things start to settle down. I've been told by many a man whom I greatly admire that teenage years for girls are tough. Teen age years for boys are hell. Not a man, not a boy, hormones raging, wanting to be what they aren't and aching to be what they can't. They're stuck in so many ways and just can't find a happy medium anywhere. I promise, you are going to get through this. A little less blonde perhaps, a little thinner in the hair even... perhaps a few more lines on the face, but you both will make it. When you come out on the other end, there are tears, hugs and words of praise and thanks. Some from him to you, many from you to Him and even some from him to Him...

I'll keep you all in my prayers too.

Love and hugs to you all,
Lissa

domestic.blizz said...

Thanks for sharing that poem Tara. It is oh so true. So often it seems to be all part of a teenagers life to want to push and test their boundaries no matter if other seem to get caught up and even hurt in the process. You are doing a great job. Hang in there and all will right itself in your world once again.

Just continue being the awesome mum that you are are.

Praying for you.

Ryann said...

My heart is breaking for you. I'm keeping you in prayer. Love ya!

ladynurse4 said...

Beautiful poem. thanks for sharing.
love the pics of Tyler from babyhood to now.