Sunday, July 26, 2009

Train Ride To Florence

We were supposed to go to Rome, but we decided 8 hours of train ride to see the Colliseum just was NOT a good idea.  As it was it was SO hot, we didn’t spend much time in Florence either. 
Image138
Seth and daddy waiting for our train to come.  Someone might be a little bit excited about riding a real train!
Image139
Image140
Courtney and Emily
Image141
Garret and then Tyler….(he was wishing I’d leave him alone….
Image142
Image145
And on our way…..
Image146
Image147
Image148
Normally when we get to a destination,  I take a picture of the city sigh….didn’t see a single one.  LOL.  Florence is Firenze in Italian (just in case you also didn’t know this).
Since we hadn’t planned on going to Firenze, I didn’t have an intinerary or any idea WHAT we wanted to see.  I knew that the Statue of David but we didn’t make it to where it’s located.  At any rate, we did more walking around and looking than going into places as visiting these beautiful buildings were pricey…and we were saving money for what we wanted to do in Pisa. 
Below is a picture of Chiaza di S. Maria Novella.  We didn’t go into this one. 
Image149
Image150
Chiesa di San Lorenzo
Image151
Picture of a miscellaneous buidling. 
Image152
Another view of Chiesa di San Lorenzo.
Image153
Image154
This is the Cloister of San Lorenzo.   There was an orange tree in the center of the garden.

Image156
Image157
Image158
I love the architecture of old buildings and enjoy taking photos of details (in case you haven’t noticed from my other posts in our wanderings while in Germany). Above each arched entryway was this neat little…dunno what you call it…ROTF…I just liked them and they were different.  One the kids thought looked like a slice of pizza.  You can see the circle above the center arch in this picture.
Image159
Image160
Image161
Image168
Image169
Image162
Image163
Image165
Image166
Image167
Entrance to the library….
Image170
Close up of the sign-the part written in English.
Image171
After this we went wandering a bit before deciding to go see the Piazza Del Duomo. 
Image172
Image173
Image174
Image175
More pictures of the Cathedral….this building is phenomenally gorgeous. 
Image178
Image179
Image180
Image181
Image182
Image186
Image187
Image188
Image189
Image190
Image191
The shorter, domed building in the below picture is the Baptistery.  You’ve seen my LO of the Baptistery at Leaning Tower of Pisa.  (ooops…I almost called it the Leaning Tower of PIZZA because we’ve been teasing Seth about it being called that…he’s taken great pride in correcting each of us).
Image255
Image256
Image257
Image258
Image260
Image263
Image264
Image265
And some pictures of the buildings and streets around the Cathedral. 
Image176
Image184
Image262
Firenze is a beautiful city.  I wish we hadn’t gone during peak tourist season AND when it wasn’t so HOT.  I would have loved to spend a few more days walking around and catching ALL the sites we missed.  Firenze wasn’t dirty like Pisa (the sewage smell was worse…and I try to keep in mind that I have a terribly sensitive nose) My mom needs to come visit so we can go back together…wouldn’t that be FUN, mom????
My next blog post will show the interior of the Cathedral, but for now I need to start packing for my trip to see Missus Wookie.  (ducking…I haven’t packed ANYTHING).

6 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! Love the pictures of the cathedral!!

Tricia said...

Great pictures! I'm an architecture buff too.

The Watts Family said...

Wow Great Pictures Tara Thanks for sharing ~Blessings Heather

Anonymous said...

What a dream of a trip! My parents LOVE cathedrals. I'll have to send them this way to see your pictures.

Your kids are just so cute! All that dark hair.....so adorable!! YES...tell your older boys I said they are adorable! :D

Lissa Ballard said...

Tara, your photos are amazing. The architecture is phenomenal to be sure. You've made me yearn for the interior photos too! LOL

So glad you had a lovely time despite the heat.

Hugs!

ladynurse4 said...

love seeing your photos and reading about your adventures.