Monday, June 21, 2010

It’s just stuff….

Really, it’s just stuff.  I keep telling myself this.  It’s just stuff.  Oh wait…you have NO idea what I am rambling about.  Which isn’t surprising coming from me.  LOL!!

As you know we are PCSing from Germany to the US.  You also know that we’ve had our movers in our home last week.  You also know from my Friday vent that it was a disaster.  Well…it got worse. 

When the packers left on Friday, they had a truck load of our stuff.  Four packed crates and some loose stuff because they didn’t bring enough materials to crate the remaining.  They left it on the truck over the weekend.  Someone decided to set the truck on fire…we lost EVERYTHING on that truck.  EVERYTHING.  No big deal, it’s just stuff.  Right?  Yeah…but all of our High Value Stuff was on this truck…..our WII, TV’s, furniture, 400 plus DVD’s, all of it.  But those things are replaceable.  These are NOT:

DSC_1632

DSC_1641

Those are the things that I am upset about. I can’t go back in time and get them back.  These photos are gone.  Forever.  These are the photos that are lost forever because they aren’t digital prints and aren’t uploaded to Snapfish.  They are just gone.  So are the negatives. 

My early birthday present?  Was on that truck.  I found this part of it: (I didn’t find the photo of the frog)

DSC_1643

I had an extensive collection of beautiful Polish pottery.  It was all on this truck. 

DSC_1635

My clothes…on the truck.  Pat’s tools.  The tools that were literally our bread and butter until Pat joined the Army in 2001…on the truck.  Gone.  All Gone.

DSC_1646

DSC_1650

What makes this really horrible…some of these tools were given to Pat by his grandfather who also made his living as a mechanic for many years.  Pat loves his grandpa and cherished those tools.  I’m upset about those things too.

My scrapbooking stuff.  Gone.  All of it.  My computer. Gone.  My furniture. GONE. 

I know this could have been worse.  This could have been a fire in my home with loss of life.  I am so very thankful to the Lord that this didn’t happen. 

DSC_1631

DSC_1684

I saw my favorite pair of pj’s and my favorite pair of Levi’s in the debris.  I saw my oldest son’s baby book, or what was the charred remains of it.  I cried.  I’m devastated.

Tomorrow, we go back to open the crates that were NOT on the truck.  Praise the Lord the arsonists weren’t successful in burning down the warehouse too.  The other 6 crates were in there.  We don’t know what is in those.  They all have to be opened up and an inventory taken of their contents, recrated and resealed before being shipped to the US.  Pray for us.  I am hoping that some of my completed scrapbook albums and the pictures/negatives were NOT on that truck.  Keep us in your prayers.

26 comments:

Jodi said...

OMG! I would be very upset too. Yes, it is just stuff. But that stuff was your livelyhood! I was heart sick when I seen your albums and pictures, plus all the other stuff. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Oh Tara....I am sick. This is just sick. It's true...it's just stuff....but it's more than that. I am so so sorry.

Kate said...

Oh Tara!!!! My heart hurts for you!!! I am praying for you and Pat. Sending hugs from US.

Kate

Aleta said...

Oh my dear friend - repeat - it is just stuff! My heart breaks for you! Keep your chin up and remember, they can't set fire to your faith. Love you!

Tricia said...

Tara, I am so sorry to hear this. I know with time this will get easier, but for now I feel your pain and grief. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs sweetie!

Geri said...

Oh Tara, I am so sorry. I wish I could come up with the words to ease your heart. I am so sorry.
Hugs my friend!

Christy said...

oh my goodness ... that is horrible. I am so so so sorry this has happened. Praying for you and your family

ThinkFeminist said...

OMG!!!!! this is so not funny...pardon me but what the f**K happened???? I am at a loss for words. I remember my mom crying in tears when our albums got bad due to flood. I cant imagine this now that I understand how valuable those pictures are....and all of your property? This is insane.

Accept my sympathies dear, I dont even know what to say at this point.

Sarah Williams said...

Tara,
I'm so sorry!! Definitely everyone's worst nightmare! I'm thinking about you and praying that you find some "good stuff" in those other crates! It's also a good thing that you post pics of your layouts....at least you have SOME that you can get re-printed....not as good as the "real thing", but better than nothing!

Ardith Haws said...

I am absolutely stunned. I can't believe it. One hears of tragedies like this but never believe it could really happen. When I saw those charred remains of your beautiful pictures, I cried along with you.

ladynurse4 said...

Dearest Tara, My heart cries with you and for you. I am shocked as I am sure you are. God's grace is sufficient--I don't know how---but I know it is.....and so will you.

Martha ~ xpetunia said...

I'm crying with you and for you Tara. This is horrible and I'm devastated for you. Yeah, it's just stuff but it's still important, otherwise you wouldn't have it.... I'll be praying that your scrapbooks are in the other crates. (((((T)))))

Auntie Em said...

Ohhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at a loss for words. So so sorry.

Betsie Morris said...

Tara!
Oh my! I am soooooooo sorry! How did this happen? Does the millitary cover things like your TVs, Furtniture, etc? The scrapbooks and pictures are heartbreaking! I am with Sarah, thank goodness you did upload some of those LOs so at least you have something. Your family has really been under attack this last year. PRaying hard for you!

IS said...

Tara, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm praying for you and your family. Thank God it wasn't worse. I hope you do find a lot of your negatives and photos in the other crates that were not damaged. {{{HUGS}}}

Irene

Anonymous said...

Tara I am so sorry!!!! I know God will bring blessings to you.. He gives us trials that sometimes we can't understand why... You are strong!!! I hope you will be able to replace the things you can't... I am now going to scan my photos.. to put on CD's and photobucket... I am truly sorry about your scrapbooks.. I would be devastated too... ((((hugs)))) and prayers for you!!!
<3

nbeltane said...

tara i am so sorry. my heart is breaking for you and your family.

LucisMomma said...

Tara, I am so sorry. So much has happened this year. Praying for peace for you and all the children.

cre8ivecrafter said...

calypso_nz posted this link on CropCHocolate's message forum - I just read the blog post - I am at a loss for words & my heart goes out to you! ... I am praying the few crates not on that truck have all irreplaceable items with great sentimental value and that insurance covers the other items for "Replacement Value" or better!

cre8ivecrafter said...

I know the photos are really hard to swallow... Is there any way you sent and/or emailed any of them to any friends, family members, your church, teachers or anyone else in the past??? I would start asking them to go through and see if they have *any* photos and please make copies of them for you. I know you can't replace everything... but maybe you could get few back at least?? (((hugs))) Sending prayers & good thoughts!

Scraptab said...

Oh Tara, I am so very sorry. Fingers are crossed that some of your cherished items are indeed in the warehouse. Know that thoughts and prayers are being sent your way. Hugs

aka........Millermath said...

Tara.....I just don't know what words to say. I feel your pain and am praying that most of the irreplacables are in the other crates. {{{{{Hugs}}}}} and prayers for you and your family!

VanessaB said...

I'm so sad to learn of this, Tara. Thinking of you and your family.

The Household 6 Diva said...

OH TARA!!! I JUST saw this in my reader... this is just horrible! Weren't the crates secured behind a FENCE or something?!?! that is just AWEFUL - your PICTURES!! and your computer!!! Oh hunny.... there are no words......

MTM said...

I am so sorry for all of this. You and your family are in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I am SO sorry this happened to you. My family had a fire the day after Thanksgiving back in 2002. It happened at night and we were minutes away from dying if my brother-in-law hadn't woken up on the couch and sounded the alarm. I know what it is like to see all your stuff wet and burned out on the lawn. I am praying for you.